November 26, 2010

Where Most Fail to Notice

Reflecting upon my life, it is impossible to discern when my view of the world began to change. I haven't a time, nor have I a place, for this transformation. I can only acknowledge that this change happened. 


I assume, that at some point in my life, seeds may have been planted within my heart. Seeds that would cause growth. This growth would become a viewpoint. A viewpoint that would become a mindset. A mindset that would forever change me. 

To be honest, some of what lead to this mindset was a bit of my headstrong ways in early years. If everyone else did it one way; then, of course, I must do it another. How little I knew where this would lead. With maturity, this determination to counter others opinions, took on even greater meaning for me. 

I began to realize that many views of others, weren't their views at all.  They were only concepts adopted from society, because this was what was accepted as normal.  

One of these adopted concepts, is that a rainy day is a bad day. What is missed by most?  The serenity to be found in gray skies. The scent of fresh rain in the air. Cars lights flashing on wet pavement at night. Running for a store, laughing as you get soaked, because you forgot your umbrella.

Footsteps on wet leaves on a mountain trail, skin dampened by the light drizzle or the steady beat of rain through nearby trees... some of my favorite moments made  by rainy days.

When did it become accepted that a rainy day was undesired?  Why must we continue to accept others opinions as our own?  Who set these rules that we have chosen to follow?  Question your ideas, examine your thought process. Ask yourself, "Is this really my beliefs or those of society?"

Allow the unadorned to become the ornate, naivete to become wisdom, the imperfect to become the ideal. Gain inspiration from the "ordinary". Above all, take time to notice the miracles that surround us daily. 

~ searching for beauty where most fail to notice ~